Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Lacquer Love: Essie Nail Polish "Ballet Slippers" (Review and Swatches)

I have been searching here and there and everywhere for a classy milky pink. All of the ones I came across were sheer or pastel or neon and applied like white-out - streaky, patchy, and uneven. So, when I saw Essie's Ballet Slippers at Kohl's, I was very reluctant to try it. My friend, Alex, changed my mind. While Alex and I were swatching different polishes in the store, she insisted that Ballet Slippers might be worth trying. Having an unsightly affection for nail colors, I thought oh why not! And I am so glad I bought it... 

The numerous pictures I have shown below project the extent of my fascination with this nail color. Do you like the classy and clean look of french manicures? Are you a soon-to-be bride looking for a milky whitish pink shade for your nails, but you don't want the traditional french manicure? Are you looking for a versatile polish that adds a sheer whitish pink gloss to your nails in one coat or can be builded up to an opaque milky pink shade in two to three coats? My answer for you - Essie's Ballet Slippers

I would recommend this polish for any skin-tone. I have a warm-beige skin tone with olive and yellow undertones. My friend has an ebony skin tone. This shade suited both of use and brightened the appearance of our hands. Sometimes such colors can add a gray cast or dull the appearance of hands that are deeper or warmer in color, but this did not. 

In the pictures below, I have applied one coat of Sephora by OPI Nail Strengthener as a base coat and one coat of Essie's Good to Go top coat. I have applied three generous coats of Ballet Slipper. An application tip I would like to share is to use a generous amount of polish with every coat and not to press the brush along the nail, but rather move it across the nail with a light hand. This way you prevent patchy application as you are trying to build opacity. Despite the five layers of polish, which includes base coat and top coat, the drying time was fairly short. I think I waited less than five minutes before I began doing other work. I have mentioned below that I would like to refrain from commenting on the longevity of this polish, but I would like to comment that I wore this polish for a longer period of time than my usual four days - perhaps a full week - and I did not experience chipping other than very little scuffing at the end of the nails towards the end of the week. 

According to another friend, ReNu, Ballet Slippers is the Queens favorite polish. So, if my review is not convincing enough, then the Queen's words might be worth consideration. This is definitely a favorite of mine. 











*I have refrained from commenting on the wear time (longevity) of the nail polishes because I only wear a particular polish for four full days and then I like to keep my nails bare for a while. In the four days, I only experience minor chipping on my index fingers and that is all. 

Have a happy happy happy day! Come back soon!


Please support StrawberryHeartsChocolateDarts @
TWITTER

Your friendly comments and feedback are much appreciated. 
Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Seriously so gorgeous. I have this color and I should reach for it more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Essie's website even has this story about the queen contacting Essie and requesting it saying she won't wear anything else. It looks lighter than I thought, though! Btw have you changed your layout? I miss the red!!!
    My Beauty Junction

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS POLICY: I love to receive comments from my readers. It helps me know that I am reaching out to people who share my interests. One of my favorite parts of blogging is interaction with other "beauty enthusiasts" like myself. Feel free to inform me of your thoughts, opinions, and feedback regarding the subject matter discussed in the blog post. Please refrain from leaving comments that involve advertisements, giveaways, and any other promotions, including promotion of your own blog/social media forums. There is absolutely no tolerance for negativity or obscenity.

***Please DO NOT LEAVE LINKS OR HYPERLINKS in your comments!